Friday, May 5, 2017

#AprilCampNano2017 feat. how i lost by 947 words + snippets + 3 surprising things i learned from camp nano


Yes, I lost Camp Nano. And yes it was by a mere 947 words. EXACTLY. My goal was to write 40k during camp, but obviously I only got to approximately 39k. I wrote pretty much the whole afternoon of the 30th, then I was gone for the whole evening, and was too tired to update..... before midnight, so I just went to sleep. 



Soooooo yeah, long story short! It stinks because I worked so hard to complete my goal, AND I WAS SO STINKIN CLOSE, but oh well. Its not the end of the world, right? XD BUT I WILL CONQUER JULY! But, considering everything else, I learned SO MUCH from camp! I am so thankful for all the girls that where there for me when I needed to war! (I'm still celebrating that I beat Julia in a sprint!) You guys are the best! During camp, I learned self-discipline, and how to make goals and achieve them. I learned how rewarding and fun writing can be, and I am learning so much from my characters! But besides these things, I learned some things I didn't expect. 

1. Allow yourself to be imperfect.

I had the hardest time, just letting loose, and writing. I was so concerned about everything not sounding fake, the plot making sense, and my characters being on spot. But I realized that Nano isn't a competition. I'm not competing against my cabin members for the most words or the best synopsis or plot. My novel doesn't have to be bestselling material. In fact it probably will never be that good, but I just had to realize that everything didn't  have to be perfect. I just needed to write, and not worry about anything else. This is my second book and my first novel, and I've learned so much about writing already during my first month of Nano! Bring on Camp NaNo July!

2. Don't give up. 

Grrr, during the middle weeks of April I. was. about. done. I was seriously sick of meeting my daily word goals, and just sitting down and writing in general. ITS MENTALLY DRAINING. But, now that its over, I am so glad I kept writing. I lowered my word goal twice, because of life happenings. I'll be graduating and having a graduation piano recital and the preparation for both has been catching up on me. But during Nano I realized that writing is a fun and a relaxing outlet for me. I had so much fun developing my characters and creating wicked awesome plot twists, drinking gallons of tea and listing to playlist after playlist of music. It was such a great experience and despite, getting only four hours of sleep some nights, not meeting my goals, and freaking out about word counts I say it was worth it! 

3. Your story is important.
Sometimes I felt like, there was no point to my story. Why do I need to write this story if this material has already been written about before? But, your story does matter. Maybe its been written by others, but it hasn't been written by you. I'm writing about post World War Two, and for awhile I was feeling like "seriously, whats the point of this?" Hundreds of people have written about World War Two, does the world really need another novel? But I realized that I have my own story to tell, and that every person adds something different and unique to every story.


Synopsis for my novel, Negative Time: 

Two sisters set out in search of the unknown. 
One boy chooses to break the rules. 
One man attempts to redeem his past. 
And one young astronomer discovers that we all are the same inside no matter what color we are on the outside. 


1945. Germany has been taken captive by the Soviets. Their cities lie in ruins, and the lives they once knew, seem to have vanished. But, a mist this time of pain and anger, Briella and Eve Fischer, two orphaned twin sisters, set out on a journey like no other, they have experienced. A quest in search of their freedom, and their dreams, in a time and place where both seem to be forgotten. They discover hope, the value of friendship, and family, the real meaning of love and the simplicity of humanity. 


Snippets from my novel


Jump, Schneider!” an officer yelled from below.

It was Officer Heinz. His face raged a vibrant red up against his soft blonde hair underneath his black billed hat, as he yelled once again, “Schneider, jump!”

The ladder seemed to sway underneath Roman, who was standing on the top step, looking down at the large Nazi flag that was being held by four officers fifteen feet below the top of the ladder. Officer Heinz stood farther back from the flag observing the boys. Romans stomach churned, and he became dizzy. He looked back down below at the other boys. He spotted Rodger who stood, his arms crossed, his face holding an expression of one who thought himself braver than anyone. Some of the boys looked up at him, judgment pasted on their faces, a few gave him glances of sympathy, and others faces held nervousness and fear, for they knew it would be their turn soon to put their trust in the red flag with the swastika. 

For the last time, Schneider, JUMP!” The young officer screamed, his face turning a shade redder than before.

C'mon Roman. You can do this.” Roman sighed, closing his eyes. He clenched his teeth, and made his hands into fists. Roman elevated his right foot and stuck it out over the edge. He took a step out into thin air.

***


Alfred Briggs stood on the swaying bridge, his hands tightly gripping the discolored medal railing in front of him. His knuckles where white, and he clenched his teeth attempting to keep back his tears. He ran his hands through his gray hair, repeating the words, “I killed him, I killed him.” over and over again in his mind. The river rushed below him, and he only wished this feeling of guilt he had carried all day would wash away with the quick rushing water. He didn't know how he would deal with this his whole life. Sure, Alfred had killed other men before Hans Fischer. Death was no stranger to him. But this man was different. As his corporal pulled the trigger on his pistol, Alfred had seen so much on the mans face. Regret, love, fear of the unknown. Then after the cold, lead bullet had pierced his heart, he witnessed a peace in his eyes he had never seen before. He didn't deserve to die, no matter what their cause was, or what Hitler thought.

I shot that man. I killed that man.” These words repeated over and over in Alfred's mind. He ripped off his coat and threw it onto the well worn boards of the bridge. The dark, black swastika on his arm band fell so that it was in full view of Alfred. He kicked his coat over the edge of the bridge, and into the rushing water. The rapids took the coat under, and it disappeared. He thought of the twins. He saw their eyes full of innocent tears.

The faded pink sun, sunk behind purple mountains, and the man with the guilty conscience, still stood on the bridge, contemplating if he should jump into the rushing river below, or if he should walk back to town. Back to a lie? Or on to death? 

 ***
The gymnasium was gone. Bricks from the gym scattered the soggy earth, mixed with shingles from the roof of the school, and shattered pieces of glass from the windows. The oak tree that stood among small fur trees and birch, had been stripped of its branches, and a battered trunk stood towering above the people below. Its bark had been clawed off, and it bled sap.

Roman left the group. He needed time alone. He walked back into the lopsided building, still in a daze, and wondered if this was all a bad dream. He pinched himself, but he was awake, like he had suspected. He knew it wasn't a dream, no matter how hard his heart denied it.

All of a sudden Roman remembered his secrets. His bare feet quickened their walk into a run, his heart raced and he bounded though the crumbling wall. He rushed into the hall, to see Stewie sitting there in a daze, rubbing his eyes. The white haired boy searched for his glasses with the cracked lens, feeling about the floor with his hands. Roman continued to his dormitory. He rounded a corner, and turned into his room. There he met the face of Officer Heinz who was standing in the middle of the floor, among the wreckage. He held a leather bound sketch book with the words Roman Schneider embroidered on the cover, and held between his fingers, was a red pencil.  The officer looked up to meet the face of the boy, still in his white nightshirt. Roman's heart dropped.

 ***

Eve lay in the bed she shared with Bri. The heat from Briella's body, warmed Eve until she couldn't take it anymore. She felt her sleeping sisters forehead. She had a fever, and her temperature was high. Sweat droplets freckled her face and neck, and ran down onto the sheets and pillowcase. She needed water.

Eve stepped out of bed, the mattress coils creaked as she did. She swept her unruly blonde cowlick behind her ear, and out of her eyes. Eve padded quietly to the window so not to wake Mara and Iris, their roommates, from their sleep. She knew she couldn't go downstairs, for she would awake the sisters. Her only chance was to escape out the window, and down to the well. Eve pushed the fluttering curtains aside, and placed her hands on the window sill. She looked down the brick side of the building where a trellis with growing ivy vines was securely fastened to the brick wall. With adventure in her eyes, Eve swung her legs out the window.

***



Pretty much this meme, ^^^^ IS THE MOST ACCURATE THING ON THE PLANET. I am so glad camp is over, but at the same time, I am so ready to go another round! Bring on CampNanoJuly!!

Which snippet is your favorite?
Did you win Nano?
What did you learn from Camp Nano?


16 comments:

  1. Congrats on 39K! I love the first thing you said, about being imperfect. I think that's really important when you're writing. Sometimes, we just need to let loose and write.
    I love your snippets! They're really intriguing, and I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Yessss, so true. Its totally an important thing to just let yourself loose. Well, thank you so much! <3<3<3

      Delete
  2. Love the premise of your story! I'm always a sucker for a good WWII novel.

    Hailey
    www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hailey! Sammmeeee. Its like my fav time period. XD

      Delete
  3. DUUUDE your story sounds legit awesome. I've never even heard of any novels written about post-WW2? So in my mind (even if it has been done before and I just don't know lol) this is super unique! *nods*

    ALSO. THE SNIPPETS. AND THE COLLAGE THING. AND THE TITLE. *flails* xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Ohhh, really? I have only read a few... soooo I guess they aren't that common. idk XD
      GAHHHH THANKS! XD

      Delete
  4. OMW YOUR NOVEL SOUNDS SO COOL. And World War II?!? O.O I have serious respect for people who write historical fiction.

    I'm sorry about your goal! But nano is about more than meeting your goal -- it's about sitting down every day and getting some words on the page. Congrats for that! <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAHHH THANKS SO MUCH AUDREY! Your encouraging words brightened my day! <3<3<3

      Delete
  5. Ahhh I love your snippets! And the collage is really pretty. And man, I'm in about the same boat as you. I was 2k short at 11:40, and I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. I know I could have done it, but they wouldn't have been words I could keep much of, and I'm sending this to betas (I'm on draft 2) so I just let it go and went to sleep XP It was sad, but in a small way, liberating? Because I acknowledged that this was just a goal, and I was able to let go and say, "I don't have to complete this. I can take care of myself and get the sleep I need, and it will be okay."

    So in my opinion, we still won *high fives*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so encouraging to hear! I am so glad I'm not alone! We where so close, but we tired our hardest! Yes, I would say we won as well! XD <3

      Delete
  6. THAT COLLAGE!!!!! AND THOSE SNIPPETS!!! I noticed you wrote historical fiction. *historical fiction write high five* I wrote historical fiction too this month-cowboys and Indians and such. =) I did win Nano-barely; and I learned that I CAN ACTUALLY DO IT. I have more confidence in myself after meeting my goal.

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS!
      Ohhh your book sounds so cool! And congrats on winning Nano! <#

      Delete
  7. Wow, your novel sounds so good. I want to read it someday! I'm curious to hear how the character's stories all meet up in the end. :) I was trying to pick a favourite snippet.. but I can't. And don't beat yourself up for not making the goal - 39K is amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. THOSE SNIPPETS, I MUST READ THIS BOOK :0 Historical fiction is a hard genre, but I'm almost positive you NAILED it :D

    ~ noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS SO MUCH NOOR! It is....historical fiction takes so much research, but its so fun!

      Delete