Monday, January 2, 2017

second lieutenant matthew bateman, france || bekah cove, essex


2nd Lieutenant Matthew Bateman
Calais, France
August 19th 1916

Dearest Matthew,
I'm lying in our meadow tonight thinking of you.
I smell wildflower and honeysuckle, and I hear the far off call of a whippoorwill in the distance. I can see Rock Mountain from here, rising far above the oak trees. A full moon towers above the earth in the night sky, and I wonder if you are looking at it too, somewhere on the other side of the world.

Are you thinking of me?
Cause I'm dreaming of you.

I snuck away from the house tonight to write. All this war talk at home makes me angry. There is so much anger these days, Matthew. My heart is becoming hard with it. But amidst my rage, nature brings me such peace, and reminds me of those long afternoons we use to spend up here, just you and me. Why did you go? I hate this. I hate being apart from you. I hate you sometimes, Matthew for leaving me alone and going off to war, but I know it wasn't your fault. I wonder why people have to fight. Don't people realize how much more valuable human life is than the victory of war?
Promise me, Matthew that you will come home safe to me. Promise me that you will live.
I think of you every moment of the day.

All my love,
Bekah

p.s Enclosed is a flower from our meadow pressed in the copy of Nicholas Nickleby you gave me last year for my birthday.





(photos via pinterest)

Bekah Cove
92 Jeffery Ave. 
Essex England
September 2nd, 1916

My Bekah,
You were always such a poet, weren't you? What you wrote about the meadow made it come alive to me again. I could almost see it. Send more writings of home. It gives me hope to keep fighting and a reason to keep on living. I've read your letter over and over. I keep it with me night and day. I look up at the moon tonight thinking and dreaming of you. Its a crescent moon over here, barely seen, but still shining. I wish I was back home with you in our meadow, holding your hand, counting the stars and dreaming of a place where there is no killing, no war and no separation. Keep hoping, Bekah, keep on praying that this world has more compassion on human life than if does greed for war and death. No one deserves this living hell we have experienced in the trenches, against our fellow humans beings. These men, they are people just like us, with emotions and longings of home. They want peace just as we do. But we are called by a greater command. To fight for our country even if it means death, which is becoming such a reality.
 Men around me are dying everyday. My friends, my brothers, my countrymen. 

Death is using me up relentlessly, Bekah. Its coming closer and closer everyday. 

I'm scared, I won't lie to you. We both have to face the reality that I may not survive this war. And if I don't promise me that you will keep fighting, you will keep living and most importantly, you will keep loving, for me. Don't let your heart become hard. But I will continue to fight for you, my love, as long as I can. I promise. Think of me tonight in our meadow. Pray for me. 

Matthew

p.s We may be worlds apart, but we will always and forever be close in spirit.

the results of late night camp nano novel ideas for april

12 comments:

  1. girl. that's is. DONT WAIT FOR JULY CAMP NANO OR APRIL CAMP NANO

    write

    this

    now

    or else. I promise you - I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY? GAHHHH WHY AM I SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!
      You are goals, Julia.
      *flails. calms down. scurries off to computer and clicks away on novel*

      Delete
  2. THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I got chills reading this, your character's voices ringing clearly through my mind.

    Total awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M SO PUMPED FOR THIS! Like Julia said, write this now!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  4. *echoes everyone* YES WRITE THIS NOW APRIL IS TOO FAR AWAY DOOO ITTT. SOO BEAUTIFFULLLL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWW THANKS SARAH! I guess I shall XD

      Delete
  5. Wow, Clara...this is really beautiful, and so well done. I agree; you should get to writing this!! ;) Thanks for sharing your work of art with us all. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually teared up a little, this is so beautiful <3 Please please write this now so i can read it and consume it and cry my heart out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY?! Ohhh Elizabeth your soooo sweet! <3<3<3

      Delete