Monday, December 26, 2016

The Words Of Winter


alpenglow (german) a rosy glow that suffuses snow covered mountain peaks at dawn or dusk on a clear day

apricity (latin) the warmth of the sun on a winter day

smultroställe (swedish) "place of wild snowberries" a special place discovered, treasured, returned for solace and relaxation; a personal idyll free from stress or sadness

brumous (traditional english) of grey sky's and winter days; filled with heavy clouds or fog; relating to winter or cold, sunless weather


immergrün (german) a plant that retains green leaves throughout the winter, symbolizing the sign of life even through the cold and dark seasons of life

brontide (traditional english) the low rumble of distant thunder

serein (french) the fine light rain that falls from a clear sky at sunset or the early hours of night; evening serenity

chionophile (greek) a person who loves cold weather and snow

peiskos (german) the feeling you get when you sit in front of a fireplace and enjoy its warmth



-i like misty autumn mornings, and cold snowy winter nights. rainstorms bring me peace, thunder sets my soul alight. give me candlelight, long books, tea, early darkness, a silent street.-

i hope you all had a great christmas,
hugs,
c.r

22 comments:

  1. *shivers from the cold and the photos and the awesome words*

    XDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! I was reading them to my stepmom and trying to sound out the more difficult words and not doing well at all...did you take the pics? They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know, I couldn't really say some of them either.XD I did take them! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. that is so so cool. how do you even find these? I love them! especially smultroställe <3

    I love learning words like this. I learn a lot of greek and its always so interesting to hear how much more indepth that language is compared to english.

    also, stunning pictures as always <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Faith! I found them on Pinterest and also on a site called Wordables.
      Greek is so fascinating! I haven't done a lot of studying on it, but I've read a little about it. I really adore the greek word ethos. Its one of my favorites! And I know what you mean about the language and wording being much for in-depth than english. Thanks for commenting, Faith!<3

      Delete
  4. ohhhh, love these! I think my favorite has got to be serein.
    also, I love your pictures!
    love
    elissa // letters-to-jayna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those words are gorgeous!! And the photos are incredible--I love the way you captured the snow & the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is your mom- hacking your account....Lol! Reading your blog makes me smile - just wanted you to know. Love you girly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo mom, thats a little creepy about the hacking part, but thank you for your kind words. You make me smile<3

      Delete
  7. These words sound so....other-worldly, in a really magical way <3 hope your year has been good, and your Christmas even better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know what you mean! They are so pretty!
      Thank you, Sunset! I hope you have a great New Year as well!<3

      Delete
  8. OOhhh yes collecting all these words now <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing the words, they're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ASDFGHJKL THIS IS GLORIOUS <33333

    ReplyDelete