Sunday, December 11, 2016

Salt To The Sea by Ruta Sepetys || Book Review

                   Winter, 1945. Four teenagers. Four secrets.
Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies…and war.
As thousands of desperate refugees flock to the coast in the midst of a Soviet advance, four paths converge, vying for passage aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety and freedom. Yet not all promises can be kept.

Inspired by the single greatest tragedy in maritime history, bestselling and award-winning author Ruta Sepetys (Between Shades of Gray) lifts the veil on a shockingly little-known casualty of World War II. An illuminating and life-affirming tale of heart and hope- Summary taken from Goodreads. 
I picked this book up at the library along with the authors other book Between Shades of Grey. Salt to The Sea has been one of the few books that has really made and impact on me, and has become one of my favorites. 

 This book was amazing. The novel was so carefully written, interwound with compassion and hope among such a time where hate and cruelty was present everyday of the characters lives. This novel left me with a feeling of hopefulness, love and inspiration although the events in the book were heart wrenching and at times very depressing. I think the author had a sense of what these four teens were going through although she had never lived during their time. I think thats a real talent, when you can get a hold of the feelings that they must have felt and the things that they experienced. Her writing made me rejoice with the characters and cry along with them. I also admired the authors ability to provide such depth in the characters role in this story. It was truly amazing. It was that kind of book where you feel as if you lost some of your best friends after the book is read. I'm still missing all of them. Like a lot. Maybe a little more than I should.  As some people have told me. *That constant question that all book geeks ask* "Why is it that most of the time, the best people are found in books? Why can't they be real?"

I loved the way the author wrote the book from alternating view points of four teens. It was really neat to see how their accounts fit together. The book also kept me in suspense. Each of the characters had a secret that wasn't revealed until the end, and it wasn't predictable or easily guessed. Predictable endings is something I find a lot in books which makes the read not as enjoyable. But this book wasn't like that. The novel was also romantic (in a good way), which I loved. I won't go into detail about Florian and Joana Me: *squeals* And guys its just like-" * Julia covers my mouth*, but if your a hopeless romantic, like myself, read this. Like now. Me: "Okay, okay I'll be quiet now...." 

Not only were the main characters amazing, but the supporting characters as well. In both of the authors books I have read, some of the supporting characters names were not provided, but were a big part in the story, and went by names such as Sorry Eva, Shoe Poet or the Bald Man. The author didn't describe the features of the characters either, which I really like in a book. It gave me a chance to imagine and come up with my own view of the characters and their surroundings. 

---------------------

I wouldn't change anything about this book. It was all so realistic and honest, filled with love, truth, hope and forgiveness. I hope you read this book, because I believe everyone should know about the story of the Wilhelm Gustaff. Lastly I would like to say how hard it was for me to not included spoilers in this review, because I just wanna tell you all about everything! I had to cut everything I wrote in this review to the bare minimum. It was so hard, but I refrained. 

8 comments:

  1. lol!!!!!!!!!! I know, I know, I always shush you from telling secrets LOL! sorry xD I'm such an older sis hahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes you do, but I kind of deserve to be shushed sometimes! Everyone, knows that I allllwwaayyys give spoilers. XD So your not the only one who shushes me lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. SAAMMMEE. I was sooo sad when the book was over XD

      Delete
    2. It's great to hear your thoughts on this! :) I enjoyed it too. I'm curious though - did you prefer Salt to the Sea or Between Shades of Gray?

      Delete
    3. Ohhh gosh, thats a hard question, cause I loved them both dearly! I'd probably say Salt To The Sea was my favorite....XD

      Delete
  3. I've had this book on my TBR for ages! I've GOT to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS. DO IT, GRACE! DO IT NOW! XD

      Delete