Sunday, December 18, 2016

5 Ironies of The French Revolution: From The View Of A Highschool History Nerd


1. The French Revolution was lead by Napoleon to end dictatorship from King Louis XVI, but Napoleon crowned himself which was anti-Revolutionary following the war. After the trouble of the French Revolution, France just ended up with another dictator. Talk about an active paradox.

2. King Louis XVI was said to be involved in improvising the invention of the guillotine, by suggesting the use of the triangular blade to ensure a sharper, quicker cut of the head (eww) something he would experience some years later.

3. When things really heated up in France, King Louis the XVI and Marie Antoinette literally ran for their lives and obviously attempted to escape the country. Buuuutttt, they were caught at the border. wa-wa-wa Even for the people living in Versailles, it was difficult to identify the royal family. There were no papers, paintings, sketches (and obviously no selfies) of the King and Queen. But there was one direct contact between the French and the people. The coins. So their escape was foiled by the profile of the King on the coins of the French. They were then brought back to Paris and sentenced to death. Well thats unfortunate. *laughs at my own joke*

4. The beginning of the French Revolution was started by the storming of the Bastille Prison by the hands of the revolutionaries. (they were peasants so they didn't have weapons or dynamite) They said they were storming the Bastille to free the revolutionaries held inside, but in all reality there were only 7 people in the prison. The real reason was to get guns. 



5. The Tennis Court Oath was one of the first acts of defiance of the French Revolution. They 3rd party said they were going to make their own assembly, which didn't depend on the royals. When they walked out of the National Assembly to take a break, the king locked the doors and said " Sorry guys you can't go in there. And if you can't assemble. How you gonna be a national assembly??" (I'm paraphrasing of course) So the peasants took of to a tennis court and made the infamous tennis court oath to become their own national assembly.

These have been the results of my thorough investigation of the French Revolution. I am quite inthralled with the time period. *dramatic tone and hand gestures* And I have sworn to conquer Les Miserables (geez I don't even know how to spell it??) and A Tale of Two Cities by the end of winter!! Ha ha! Even though Les Miserables is the size of a large cinderblock I shall prevail! Yes I shall conquer! 


8 comments:

  1. OMW i didn't know like any of these...well except 1 and 2 LOL I KNEW #2 LOL!!!!!!!! *doesn't know why i find it so funny*

    and girl. you're going to read a book that thick?!?! NO WAY. you're crazy (obv why i love you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is kinda funny! And gross XD
      Uh, yes I'm already like 10 chapters in....probably 100 chapters to go, but its such a wonderful story, its worth the agony!

      Delete
  2. Even though I didn't know like half of anything on this post it was still fun to read XD (A VERY CREATIVE POST TOO MIGHT I ADD)
    TELL ME HOW LES MIS WAS PLEASE. I've heard so much about it, but...it kind of looks..intimidating? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you Autumn! I'm glad you liked it! I'm going to college to be a history teacher next year, and I really like to make history fun and interesting for people, so your comment was so encouraging to me!

      Oh, yes I will defiantly let you know. I'll probably do a post on it, like I FINISHED READING THE THICKEST BOOK ON EARTH type thing. Its such a wonderful story! If you don't want to read the book, you should watch the movie:) ITS SO ROMANTICALLY ADVENTUROUS AND AMAZING

      Delete
  3. Les Miserables is one of my FAVORITE stories of all time!!
    As a fellow addict to the French Revolution, I found your post to be quite amusing.
    Good luck on A Tale of Two Cities, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Brook!
      I love the story as well! Its so well thought out, the romance is on point and the action/adventure is the legit best! I'm glad you found my post so amusing!

      Delete
  4. As a person with a deep fascination with the French Revolution, I really loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, I'm glad you liked it, Elizabeth! Isn't history just so amazing?!

      Delete