Sunday, July 10, 2016

Why I Listen To Christian Music

Secular music and Christian music are two topics that many people debate over. Is it okay for Christians to listen to secular music? Or, are Christian music genres such as contemporary, pop, or rock okay? Its all so overwhelming and very confusing to think about. Its just like--- XD



But, for us as teens living in the 21st century, we need to make these decisions, and set boundaries up for ourselves on what we let ourselves listen to, and the kinds of music that we decide not to listen to, because music effects our thoughts, actions and how we influence others. Its a personal decision that each and everyone of us has to make for ourselves.

First, I want to clarify that just because christian music has the "christian" label on it, does not make all Christian music wholesome. And just because secular music isn't Christian doesn't mean that all secular music is bad. There are some great songs out there written by secular artists that have wholesome content, and great themes, like some of Adele's songs and Ed Sheeran, but personally, I have chosen not to listen to secular radio stations, (even though I do buy some songs on iTunes) because even if I listen to those stations for the good songs, I would most defiantly come across music with content I don't want listen to. Its just not worth it, in my opinion. #unpopularopinions XD


But, I also recognize that not all Christian music is God honoring. Personally, I don't appreciate some band members that say they are "christian" yet they have lime green hair, piercings, tattoos and play heavy metal. If you are going to call yourself a Christian, and sing about Jesus, you are representing Christ. Not the world. You might as well listen to secular music. You just have to listen to your conscience. 

God created music to be holy and pleasing to Him. He didn't give it to us to dirty it up with cuss words or bad content, like some secular songs. It was created to be used in an uplifting and clean manner. But, some Christians debate over if Christian rock, pop and contemporary music is ungodly or not, and if it truly is uplifting. In my opinion I don't agree that it is ungodly at all. Personally, I enjoy it very much. 

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord
-Colossians 3:16

  • In the last part of the verse, it says that if you sing with grace in your heart to the Lord, you are praising Him. If you are truly worshiping and praising Him, then what does the genre matter? If you listen to the lyrics of Christian songs, you will hear that these songs bring glory to God, they encourage our walk in Christ, and they are full of lessons from the Bible. It does not leave us to dwell on worldly thoughts, but to edify Christ. Yes, its modern and different from the traditional hymns, but even when the old hymns were first written, they were considered contemporary, and even ungodly by some people of that century. And look at those hymns now. They have some of the greatest messages, and they are very uplifting, but so is Christian music, which are the hymns of our age. 

  • Christian music is also family friendly. Its wholesome for all ages, and it sets a good standard for younger kids as far as what their music choices might be in the future. 

  • Christian music also sets up a boundary for ourselves. Say that, I was to listen to a good secular song, but it only had one teeny swear word in it, soon I would let myself think that its okay to listen to music with more and more cussing and eventually I might even start to say or think those words. With Christian music, I don't have to worry about swearing or unwholesome content, because the songs are about Jesus and not the world, and you can't go wrong with that;) 


So, this is why I listen to christian music. I know not everyone will agree with me, but thats what makes people different and unique! Everyone has different tastes and opinions;)


Phew! Talk about intense, right! XD
Here are some of my favorite Christian songs at the moment. 

Grace Wins- Matthew West
Jesus in Disguise- Brandon Heath
Diamonds- Hawk Nelson
Come to Jesus- Chris Rice
Call it Grace- Unspoken
Sparrows- Jason Gray
Soul on Fire- Third Day
Forgiven- Relient K
This Is Now- Josh Wilson
Trust In You- Lauren Daigle 
Keep Walking- Toby Mac 

What are your thoughts on this topic?

12 comments:

  1. Hmm! Some interesting points here, Clara. Personally, in my spiritual walk, this is an issue that doesn't bother me. I listen to secular radio and Christian radio alike. I believe that God says 'no' to different people on different issues – for instance, He might tell you 'no' to hanging out with certain people, watching certain movies, listening to certain music. Everyone's is different. I believe that He knows us and knows our hearts to let us know, one way or another, where we should draw the line. That's just my take!
    Anyway. :) When I have my devotional time, I like to listen to a Christian song, like Owl City or TobyMac. One of my all-time favorite Christian songs (or even songs in general) is Made to Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. I don't listen to secular music and to be honest, I wouldn't like to in the near future. I also love all of those songs! :)

    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sevenbloggersandtheirdolls.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting and awesome post! It is very thought provoking. :) I personally am christian and listen to other songs and I think it is fine.

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, thoughtful post. I agree, though I do listen to a lot of non christian songs and sound tracks. Some of those are cd which I should probably not listen to, because of the lyrics. But generally I really like old folk songs and Australian songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting post! Personally, I listen to both Christian and non-Christian music, mainly because it's harder to find Christian music that's really good MUSIC. I love the message, but oftentimes I don't love the actual sound. That being said, every now and then I'll take breaks where I'll just listen to Christian music for a few days, just as a refresh. But I do love Ed Sheeran. XD

    "some band members that say they are "christian" yet they have lime green hair, piercings, tattoos and play heavy metal." I will say that personally, I'm of the belief that just because you have lime green hair or play heavy metal, that doesn't make you less of a Christian. If you listen to the lyrics of a song and they're proclaiming Jesus, why should it really matter if the song has more bass or drumming than typical "Christian" music, or if the singer has a tattoo? I don't know, just my thought process.

    Lovely post, Clara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job on writing a somewhat controversial post like this! Personally, I listen to literally no secular music AT ALL. But, I know that some Christians do and I'm not here to judge at all either. For me, it doesn't bring me closer to God (and sometimes I struggle believing some "Christian" music does too.), and also it doesn't have a lot of substance to further me along I feel...so. And like you said, I don't necessarily listen to Christian bands with lime green hair and tattoos, but everybody has to give an account to God only, so I'm not judging, just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a reallly great post! I love your points -- especially the one about how if you listen to a song with some swear words you continue to think on it. IT HURTS ME SO BADLY WHEN I HEAR ONE WORD AND THEN REPEAT IT IN MY HEAD - -I never want to say it out loud and it feels stuck. TOTALLY WHEN I CRY OUT TO GOD FOR HELP <3 He's amazing

    You seriously know how to write controversial posts amazingly <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting. personally, I listen to secular music. (Not secular radio. but I also dont like Christian radio either. or radio in a general. I like being in charge of my music. lol.)
    I'll be honest, I listen to some bad stuff. Not terrible. but songs that swear and talk about sex. (not explicitly though.)
    in 2 Corinthians it talks about not causing a brother to sin. but like, sorry I cant explain it. but it basically said some things are okay for you and bad for others. some people can handle those songs and for some it causes them to sin. so if it causes you to sin, DONT DO IT. so thats my take in a nutshell. (sorry if it didnt make sense. lol.)

    anyhow, very interesting post :) I very much respect your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Until last year, I never really listened to Christian music, and even now days, I still rarely ever do-- though I do admit, I'm trying hard to mash up all of these Christian songs together into one mass song because it's pretty cool. I usually try to stay away from the mainstream pop stations because all I hear are songs about things that I really don't want to have jiving in my head.

    xoxo Morning

    P.S. How do you deal with meeting mission people? Some of them are staying over at my church on Thursday and I have to go help out. I have no idea what I'm going to be doing, to be honest. DX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tagged you!
    (http://lovelypinkduckshome.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-power-of-words-tag-stay-tuned.html)
    -mic

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved hearing your perspective. I listen usually just to Christian radio, however when I listen to Spotify I have a lot of playlists that aren't Christian playlists. Part of what has helped me pick good secular music is my other friends who have the same values as me and influence my music choices.

    I definitely love Christian music but recently a lot of theology in a lot of the "popular" Christian songs on the radio has gotten to me. It's very shallow. I don't like "Good Good Father" because it almost promotes the prosperity gospel and doesn't go any further to explain just because life isn't going perfectly doesn't mean that He is still good. However, I still think that Christian music is a safer choice than secular music, because secular music often has subtle references to dishonoring subjects.


    Thanks for sharing your perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **doesn't go any further to explain that just because life isn't going perfectly doesn't mean that He isn't good anymore.

      Delete