Saturday, May 14, 2016

Blonde Highlights DIY

                          


    I recently tried highlighting my hair naturally to get ready for summer! I have really thick, natural strawberry blonde hair, but I wanted to highlight it to bring out the blonde. ( I've always wanted to be a red head, but thats never gonna happen unless I dye it:) 

    My mom told me that her sisters use to dye their hair with hydrogen peroxide when they were teens, and their hair turned bleach blonde. Others, have said it turns your hair orange. But my mom suggested that I dilute the peroxide, half and half with water, and spray it on my hair with a fine mist sprayer..... So I decided, "Why not? It doesn't sound too dangerous!" 

    So, I did it. I mixed four tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and four tablespoons of water and put it in a spray bottle. My mom sprayed my hair with the mixture, before I went on a walk with a friend. It dried pretty quickly in the sun, but I didn't notice any changes with my hair. When I got home I sprayed another layer on my hair and let it dry, then I repeated it again. I slowly noticed some changes in my hair. It was getting more blonde! And no, it didn't turn orange!:) That might happen if you just put in straight peroxide though:) I also washed my hair when it got the shade/color I wanted it to be, just so it didn't continue bleaching through the evening.

    I wouldn't recommend this for girls with brown hair, or any darker color for that matter:)
My dear friend, Julia, who has light brown hair, tried it and she didn't see any change in her hair at all. The first picture, on the left up there, is my hair before I put the peroxide in. The middle image shows my hair after the first application, and the right hand picture shows my hair after I washed and dried it. 

Do you enjoy experimenting with your hair?
What is your favorite summer hairstyle?




6 comments:

  1. Huh, I like this idea! I'm already blonde, but I want to go a bit lighter, so I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Your hair looks beautiful! <3

    Sophia xx
    lantern-in-her-hand.blogspot.com
    theinkpotgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could try something like this, but my hair is dark brown.. :/
    Your hair looks lovely, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky your hair can actually be highlighted blonde (it looks so pretty, by the way) and still look natural-- my natural hair color is black.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looks lovely! My hair would probably not respond to hydrogen peroxide. In fact, I used to spray sun-n in my hair to bring out highlights and it did turn my hair a red-brown color, which I didn't mind, because I've always wanted to be a red head too. The highlights were fun but growing them out was a little excruciating and I think in the future if I want highlights, I'll go to a salon.

    Have you ever thought about using natural henna to dye your hair? My sister has tried it and it makes her hair a dark red. I've thought about it too, but I haven't been brave enough to try it. :P

    Dani xoxo
    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair looks amazing!! I wish I was brave enough to try something like this, maybe I will in the future :)

    ReplyDelete