Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Take On Modesty




-be modest in your dress, actions and your character-


1. Our Culture vs. You
    In this age, our culture encourages girls to be immodest. Their excuse is that wearing certain types of clothing is popular and even pretty. The world tricks young women into thinking that wearing revealing clothing is ok. But that is not what Jesus wants for us girls. He wants the best for us. In 1 Corinthians it says "what know ye not that your body is the temple of the Hold Ghost, which is in you, which ye have of God and ye are not your own." 

2. Your Clothing Standards
    Your clothing standards are important. It sets boundaries about what you, personally, feel comfortable wearing and what kind of clothes you don't feel comfortable in. For me, it really just depends on the item of clothing I'm wearing. If I see that my blouse might be a little revealing of cleavage when I bend down I might want to wear a cami or tank top underneath, or if my skirt is going to be a little bit too short when I sit down, I might want to wear some leggings as well. 
 It all depends on the article of clothing. I always ask, if Jesus stood beside me, would I wear what I wear? Finding modest clothing is also very easy and fun! Pinterest (yiss dahling) is a great way of getting inspiration for classy outfits that are cute and modest. :)

2. Protect The Boys In Your Life
    Dressing immodestly can, in fact be a stumbling block for the boys in a girls life. When they see a girl who is flaunting around her body to the world, he is tempted to think the wrong thoughts and he may begin to lust after things that are sinful. Godly boys find modesty attractive, and they appreciate girls who dress with self- control. They are grateful for those girls who serve them by helping them fight the temptation to lust. For immodesty doesn't gain respect, it gains attention, and its not the kind of attention you want to have from a boy. In my opinion, dressing modestly gains the right attention. It gives boys the change to get to know the real you, the girl inside and also find a certain respect for you as a Godly young woman. Not as a girl who is trying to be "sexy" but a girl who is trying to be what the Bible defines as beautiful. 

4. Don't Just Wear Your Modesty
   Modesty can be worn inside and out. Its not just about your body, but about your character and your actions. 1 Peter 3:3-4 'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as arranging the hair, wearing gold or putting on fine apparel. Rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quite spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.'

So what is your take on modesty?
What are your clothing standards

20 comments:

  1. I go back and forth with this topic. Idk. for several reasons that cant be explained in a blog comment because they're stuff Im still working out for myself. like. I know that boys are visual people but I dont understand it. like if I see a girl wearing a crop top, I dont think twice. I actually love crop tops. I think they're adorable. but boys can be tripped up by that and I just...I dont get it. but I respect that. I just struggle with that. if that makes sense??
    idk. its kinda up in the air. Ive never worn really anything revealing but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be a complicated thing. It really all depends on your modesty standards. Just ask yourself, it Jesus Christ was standing right next to me would I wear this?
      For me anyways, asking that question really helps out:)
      I totally understand about the boy thing. It is hard to understand and I get where you are coming from. :)

      Delete
  2. It's interesting to read your thoughts on modesty, Clara! It's something I've tossed back and forth in my mind for years, especially the pants vs skirts aspect. I always thought I should wear skirts, but it was so much easier not to, and when I did I felt like I was doing it 'just because', not because it came from the heart. But since then, God just put the desire in my heart, and now I when I wear skirts it's because I want to. So, I think an important part of modesty is having that close relationship with God, and then He can show us ways in which our dress and behavior can be more glorifying to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've had a similar experience with the pants vs. skirts thing. It has been hard for me because Jesus doesn't say anything specific about wearing skirts or not. Personally, I do wear pants, but I wear skirts as well. I think they both can be modest.
      I loved what you said about having a close relationship with God, great message, Jessica! And thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I definitely agree with you. This is a great post and I may write a post about modesty soon...We'll see. I hope you have a wonderful Easter! :)

    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie! You have a fantastic Easter as well!<3

      Delete
  4. I do have to agree with you on all of these points. It's kind of sad; someone was talking about how none of the future generations will have a 2010s fashion themed party because the literal fashion trend is to "wear as little clothes as possible." Modesty is such a very important thing in my life, and that's probably because of my experiences are-- my entire father's side of the family find it a bit odd that I don't "dress up" like my cousins do. I don't like wearing makeup, and I tend to just attend parties in jeans while they come in full blown makeup and outfits, even if the party is just casual. But when it comes to modesty, I am a bit laid back on it-- there are some clothes that I would be incredibly uncomfortable wearing or seeing, but other than that, I'm fine with it. And you're right; Pinterest is such a great resource for cute yet modest outfits. ^.^

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats great that modesty is so important to you!
      Yeah, it is really sad that the treads are getting more immodest and revealing.
      Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and commenting!<3

      Delete
  5. Couldn't agree more, however I think I dress the way I shouldn't sometimes. I do this because I have to fear in showing my skin. The clothing I choose to wear always makes me confident in my skin. I don't tolerate boys who think the way a person/ girls dress is the kind of person she is, if that makes sense. What to do? I'm not sure. All I know is I feel happy, I love God, and people treat me with respect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally respect your opinion, Vanessa! And I totally get where you are coming from! Sometimes its hard for us girls to get our minds wrapped around how the guys are effected by our dress. In section two of my post up there, I said something like if a guy sees a girl that is a little underdressed or wearing something revealing or whatever, they tend to focus on that and they may begin to lust after things that are wrong. When a girl is dressed modestly, the guy can get to know the real girl and not be distracted by other things. Now, I don't think that means that girls can't show a bit of skin, its just something you personally should think about, maybe ask your parents and pray about as well<3 Remember, that God wants to hear from you! He wants you to take all your problems and cares to Him. He loves all of His children and cares about what they care about. <3
      Thank you so much for your comment, Vanessa!<3 Have a great Easter!

      Delete
  6. This post was really, really great Clara! I did a post on modesty (http://lovelypinkduckshome.blogspot.com/2015/11/why-it-is-important-to-be-modest.html) over at my blog too.
    Bravo,
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing post, Clara! I totally agree. I feel much more comfortable in modest clothing. Though it does make me stand out among my peers, especially when it comes to swimwear. Strangely enough, I've even lost friends over modesty because they felt like I was trying to be better than them by dressing modestly--which of course wasn't the case at all. I love how you said that modesty isn't just about covering your body, but it also needs to be shown in your actions and character. That couldn't be more true. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eve! It is so sad that people would not want to be friends with you just because you dress modest. I've had a similar experience and its really sad.
      Your comment was so encouraging!<3
      Have a wonderful Easter!

      Delete
  8. Wow! I love this post! I totally agree with your points on modesty. It is so hard to dress modestly and I constantly have to remind myself WHY I'm dressing modestly. And that I'm honoring Jesus so much by doing it!

    I just found your blog and it is so gorgeous! I'm following. :)

    Hannah
    CompletelyForHim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! Yes, its good to think about why you dress modestly rather than just doing it because thats what you should do. Thank you for the follow, Hannah!<3

      Delete
  9. truth, truth, truth. i love posts like this, that deal with hard-core issues in, well, the Christian life, basically. modesty is really important to me, and although it's really hard at times when the world, like Morning said, is setting trends of wearing as little clothing as possible, to stand up for modesty and dressing to honor the King of Kings, it's worth it in the end. yes, perhaps boys may NOTICE girls who don't dress quite as modestly, but, really, it's still a stumbling block. and AMEN to the part where modesty needs to come in attitude and character. i personally have known girls, who, yes, dressed modestly compared to worldly standards, but their attitude and behavior, almost could've made one wonder.

    all in all, wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Your comment was so encouraging! Its great to know there are other christian girls out there who think the way I do!<3 Thanks for your comment!<3

      Delete
  10. wow wow!! I especially appreciated how you mentioned protecting guys. If I don't feel comfortable wearing a piece of clothing yourself - imagine how your poor brothers must feel like??? oh it's just terrible. :P

    ReplyDelete